Male ferret weight, age

Hello :slight_smile:
Few weeks ago I got my male ferret. Now he is 10 weeks old - and his weight is 730g and he is 30cm long without tail. I stumbled upon a piucture of a 11 week old boy which said he was 1,3kg! I wonder, will he ever grow to be a big ferret boy or will he remain small?
He was half the size of boys from other litter which were born (at least I was told so) day before him and his siblings. I don’t know it for sure, because I don’t trust the seller very much. She told us he was born 19.5. (the other litter 18.5.), but on a website she revived the selling post (two weeks after I bought him) and there was written that she sold “7 and 9 week old kits” - because she only had two litters (she posted them since they were 1 month old, never even mentioned another litter!) that would mean mine is 2 weeks younger than she told us! Reason for lying might be that he would be only 5 and half week old at the time and she knew it wasn’t legal to sell such young kit. Or maybe she lied because he is a “runt” and he is from the same litter as the other boys and she knew we would probably not choose him… Either way I know she lied to me about him.
I ask because I always wanted a big ferret (reason I bought a male) and he wasn’t my choice (I am easilly pushed into decisions sadly, I wanted another boy). Don’t take me wrong, I do love him, but I still regret choosing him. I will upload a picture of him in his “7 weeks” (from 9.7.) - 3 days later - 340g, 21cm without tail. Maybe you could tell me whether the age seems right with this info. So tu sum this post - is there a chance for him to grow into a big ferret and do you think the age seems right. Sorry for any mistakes, english isn’t my first language!

1 Like

I can only put 1 img per post - so here are other ones!

Third picture of him.

Last one picture of him.!

Hi and welcome
Firstly I wouldn’t trust a word from the sellers mouth by the looks of it! You say he is half the size of the other hob kits in the other litter? Well I’d say that can only mean there’s weeks between the to litters.
If he and his siblings are all around the same size and are half the size then they weren’t born a day apart.
As for his size! He looks a picture of health and as with most kits it’s almost impossible to tell what size/weight that will be when fully mature!
I’d suggest you stop worrying about how big he may or may not end up and concentrate on his development,diet and interaction.
He’s a proper cutie so just love him the way he deserves regardless of his size :ok_hand:

Cheers Craig

4 Likes

Thanks so much for the reply!
I don’t trust the breeder anymore, too. Either she lied to me about his age or she lies on the selling post that she revived. Because I know she only has two litters, I was told they are two days apart and on the selling post she says 7&9 week old. If only I knew earlier! But she seemed like a normal nice breeder when we visited!
The thing is I never saw his siblings, I wanted a boy so she showed us only the boys she had - 4 from the older litter and this guy. He did have a male brother too, but I knew I didn’t want albino so she didn’t bother with showing him to us. So I do not know the size of his siblings. But yes, he was half the size of them. I asked her about it and she told me his litter had more kits (which made sense, litters with less kits are usually bigger).
He “was” 7 weeks old, if the age is false then he was only 5 and half weeks old when I bought him! Reason why I think he is more likely a runt from the older litter is that my friend got a female from the older litter (she bought her two days after I got him) and my male didn’t appear to be behind her in development (moving, playing). He was more scared and peed a lot from fear, but I think that is more personality than anything. When you look at the pictures what age would you think he was? They were taken 2 days after a bought him.

1 Like

It’s hard to say age wise! Is/has he been very squeaky? Normally a sign they have been removed too early from mum.
When I got some more ferrets back in my life years ago my wife went and got them while I was at work.
The dark eyed white (whitie) was definitely around 10-12 Wks but the guy didn’t have anymore polecat hobs! He put her in touch with his friend who said he had one so she got him(littlie) on the way home.
The difference was unreal whitie was off and about but Littlie was far too young to have been sperated and was crying and clingy(but it didn’t stop him becoming the alpha of the group of 7!!! He put them all in there place! Earning the nick name Bossman :grinning:
Personally I wouldn’t worry just enjoy and love him

Cheers Craig

3 Likes

It’s funny, how little and youngest ones tend to be alpha later. :smiley:
I watched some videos and he definitelly wasn’t moving as the 7 week old kits, more like the 5 week old ones! But he didn’t squeak at all when I got him and I don’t recall him being “abnormally” clingy. He cried only sometimes while sleeping (at first he cried every sleep, now only barely). I have had him for exactly 3 weeks and 3 days, and he started exploring and playing, running with arched back (&backing, jumping, dooking, etc.) about a week ago. He also wasn’t able to eat ferret food at all, I had to soak it in water and I also gave him cooked meat. Maybe he really is 2 weeks younger than he should be. I guess I will never know.
I love how he sleeps though! He always yawns while dead sleeping, but instead of straight yawning - he first sticks his tongue out a bit (just the tip), holds it, then he sticks whole tongue out and holds it and then yawns! I always laugh :joy:

3 Likes

I’d also try him with some turkey mince and lactose free milk mixed together! Our kits loved it :ok_hand:

Cheers Craig

1 Like

Hi @KonanPain

Welcome to the forum,

I can’t see your photos for some reason but what you are saying would suggest his younger. Great advice from @Draycoteflyer. If you are going to feed him on meat though it is much better for him raw than cooked. He will love it and will grow quickly. Ferrets are always biggest and heaviest in their first year and in summer they all lose weight and then put it back on again for winter. His size will vary regularly so as Craig says just love him for who he is :heart_eyes:

1 Like