Litter box training - HELP!

We recently bought a 5-week-old ferret and we’re having a really tough time training him to use the litter box. We’ve done a lot of research and tried many techniques. We have a corner box with a grate that bolts to the cage. We’ve now gotten to the point where he can go behind the box, lift it off the hinges (no matter how tight), rip the grate off and upturn the box so all the litter spills out. He uses every corner of the 3-tier cage BUT the box. We’ve tried with and without the grate. We’ve tried various litters (he just digs and plays in it). If he’s in the middle of going to the bathroom, and we catch him in time, we put him in the box, and of course he’ll use it then. We’ve put large objects in all the other corners as a deterrent, but he just goes in front of them. We’ve moved his feces from the various corners and put it in the box like many people have suggested, but it doesn’t make a difference. It’s as if he just doesn’t want to use the box and wants it out of his cage. We’re hoping this has a lot to do with him being so young, but we’re getting desperate and feel as if he’s never going to learn to use the box.

1 Like

As far the the litter box been lifted my little guy used to do it too so I put screws in it to hold it from the bottom part of the cage and he wasn’t bale to lift it anymore. I got one of those buttlefly that you can screw and unscrew to clean in case of a big mess.

1 Like

Thank you for the idea!

1 Like

I thought it was this post that I saw it but it must not have been… Someone was posting about litter training, and they took old t-shirts/ rags and laid them lining the rest of the cage around the litter box. Typically the ferrets won’t go to the bathroom on the clothing and it’ll force them to go in the litter box to poo/pee. I’m testing this technique today, they’re free rein so they have been using their litter box outside of their kennel, but tonight will be the big test and see. :crossed_fingers::smile:

2 Likes

Oh, wow, I’ve never heard of that one. Let me know how it goes! Thank you.

2 Likes

Hey so I have been using this technique and its working amazing!! The baby, hes only went on the clothing once. And it was when I was just cleaning the litter out. I would recommend it! @Anthony

2 Likes

Fantastic! Thanks again.

1 Like

Hi Anthony
As you say you need to remember he’s only a baby. Corner trays aren’t great for ferrets and they tend not to like them as they aren’t usually big enough for them. You could try taking out the litter tray all together and putting newspaper in the corners. Some ferrets just never like to use trays

1 Like

I’m actually going to try this. We put a litter box in the cage and he loved it so much he dug in the litter and used it as a bed. Laying paper down in the corners might be the way we have to go. Which is fine, as long as he’s happy and comfortable. Thank you!

2 Likes

How are things going?

Well, we ditched the corner tray and tried some cardboard square trays, to experiment. We tried them with newspaper, litter, and empty. The litter he treated like a ball crawl, and even a bed, but that’s it. He used it when it was empty or had newspaper in it. So I bought a litter box that filled up one whole side of the cage, so it eliminated two corners of the cage. The other half we filled with blankets and tiny pillows, which cancelled out the other two corners. So now he really has no choice but to use the box, since he won’t go to the bathroom on the blankets/pillows, but he does so without issue. So I think the problem is officially solved. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s great. Sometimes we just need to think like a ferret :grin:

1 Like

Haha, I like that. I’ll keep that in mind should any future issues arise. :slight_smile:

1 Like