Hair loss

Hey guys, my boy Stash has been having some hair loss on the end of his tail, and I’m wondering if anyone else has witnessed things like this. He’s always been an itchy boy, but no real issues. I’m taking him to the vet tomorrow but just thought I’d post this and see if anyone has any suggestions or experience with this. We got a new kit a couple months ago and I was wondering if maybe the stress is what’s doing it.

1 Like

When I took my ferret to the vet a while ago, they said that if you start to see a ferret losing its hair on its tail to the point it starts looking like a rat’s tail, that it’s a hormone deficiency problem and he would need a chip to get normal hormone levels. Good thing you’re taking him to the vet though, I’m just speaking off of advice I’ve been given.

2 Likes

Could just be rats tail at this time of year. A few of my ferrets have randomly lost all the fur on their tails in summertime. It ends up looking like there’s hundreds of blackheads on the end of their tails and the fur grows back as normal sooner or later. It seems to be associated with the heat but there’s no real rhyme or reason to it. Hair loss starting at the rear end can also be a symptom of adrenal or Cushing’s so a vet visit is a good call but I wouldn’t be too concerned :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

It looks like a simple case of rat tail to me which is very common in the summer and really nothing to worry about.

Some people like to clean the tail. Mainly I think because it makes them feel they are doing something. It’s not really necessary though and the hair will almost certainly grow back in the autumn.

Hair loss starting on the rump rather than the tip of the tail can be a sign of adrenal disease, particularly in older neutered ferrets, so worth getting a vets advice if you see this.

2 Likes

Thank you all for the replies, going to see the vet tomorrow so we’ll see what they say! I’m hoping it’s just a case of the rat tail like you were saying, but we will see!

3 Likes

How did you get on at the vets @Frostangelfriss

1 Like