Fixed ferret trying to mate?

Ok so I’ve had my new male ferret for around 6 months. I have noticed him scruffing my older female for months now, sort of biting her neck and holding her down (I never worried because they are both fixed) I thought they were playing. Today I am 100% sure he was trying to mate and she was squeaking a lot and seemed like she was trying to run away.

Am I crazy or is it possible he is matting with her? I bought him from people who said he was fixed. I don’t know how to check, but his “down stairs” looks the same as my other male ferret.

Also my other male has never had this type of behavior he play bites the others and all, but it looks very different from my new male.

1 Like

Oh and I live in the US so most ferrets are from Marshall’s farm and are fixed and descented. I am really confused.

1 Like

Hi Sarah.

If he was an entire male he would have testicles, This time of year his coat would be extremely oily and if he was a pale coulour his coat would change to an orangy/yellow type colour, He may also show some signs of aggression to you.

What condition is his coat in?

How old is he? It’s possible that he has adrenal disease. The hormones from that could produce mating behaviour.

Is she neutered too? I know my neutered males were interested when I got a jill who was in season. A couple of them scruffed and dragged her, then lay on top of her looking confused :wink:

1 Like

Hi Donna he does not have testicles. He has been VERY aggressive towards the females but not the male. He is looks to be hurting them. I have been observing a lot and don’t think he is actually mating with them he just sort of pretends to. It’s pretty weird and I’m worried as I recently came across articles saying that is a sign of adrenal disease in male ferrets.

1 Like

I rehomed him from a couple that said he was a year and a half, I don’t know if it’s true or not (I’ve had people lie before) so there’s no way of knowing 100%. My females are neutered as well! Which adds to this being weird😂 I have been reading online and many places say it could be adrenal. I guess my next step is to take him in. I hope it’s ntohing serious… I lost my previous ferret to adrenal desease😥

1 Like

Well if he is that young adrenal seems unlikely but I really can’t think of anything else that would elicit mating behaviour in a neutered ferret

1 Like

I will get it checked out at the vet as he is having some other adrenal symptoms as well. It’s more likely the people I got him from lied about his age, or that maybe he developed it earlier than usual.

1 Like

Yes either are possible I guess.

The implant is a good treatment option if they think it may be adrenal. With the bonus that it won’t do any harm if it isn’t.

3 Likes

Agreed! I won’t go through the surgery again. If needed I will for sure go with implants!

2 Likes

You could easily have been misled or maybe his previous owners were guessing at his age. Let us know what the vet says.

2 Likes