Ferrets first season

Hi
I have 2 female Angora ferrets that have come in to their first heat but I have no interest in breeding them. I don’t want to get them spayed as of all the problems it can cause them later on in life and I rang the vets the other day for a price to get the implant for both of them and there asking for £400 and that’s without consultant fees. So just wanted to know is the Jill jab OK to get for now to get them out of heat for this season at least till I can save the money to get the implants for next season.

1 Like

£400 is ridiculous, the most I’ve heard is about £100 including all fees. I’d try and find a different vet.

Personally I still spay, all my ferrets have been spayed and I’ve only had two with adrenal. They both lived a normal life span using the implant as a treatment.

2 Likes

Yeah £200 a ferret. Where I live there’s not many choices in vets but am going to have a look around and if I don’t find somthing a lot cheaper I was thinking of just getting the Jill jab to get them out of season and get them spayed before next year

1 Like

That’s certainly an option, although a vet who’s charging that much for the implant will probably overcharge for the Jill jab too.

Where are you, someone may know a good vet

1 Like

Am in North Wales not far from Pwllheli and the vets I got the quote from is in Caernarfon.

1 Like

I agree with Mary that they’re definitely over-charging you. The implant from my vet is roughly £80, however I would personally opt for the Jill jab and spay option as the implant isn’t actually licensed for female ferrets and has been proven to shrink and damage their reproductive organs which worries me far more than problems which may occur in later life due to spaying. Afraid I can’t help with vet suggestions as I’m in Scotland.

2 Likes

I always jill jab then spay. The vet will probably over charge for everything as they often regard ferrets as exotics. Have a good ring round and see if you can find somewhere more reasonably priced.

1 Like

Thankss…