Ferret Housing choice?

(Mary McCarthy) #1

It’s on days like this, leaving a night shift when it’s lashing down with rain and blowing a gale, these are the days I am so glad I moved my ferrets indoors.

What makes you glad you made your housing choice?

(Hilary Anderson) #2

When I get home late and tired from work, it is easier to check everyone has food, water, clean puppy pads and is in good health. If they were outside, it would be a lot more hassle and I worry that temptation sometimes would be too much to think they are ok and leave until morning. So good for everyone they are indoors. We also have some dedicated cage breakers - bars twisted until they break, plastic chewed through (in one night, her teeth look ok) and the occasional failure to forget to close. That second level of defense is reassuring

The downside though is not toileting, showering in peace and a wrecking ball could sometimes do less damage. It can sometimes be hard when you walk through house and it feels like every jacket contains a weasel and every cardboard box at least one.

(Mary McCarthy) #3

I’m not sure could cope with free roaming ferrets. Our house is far too higgeldy piggledy, we’d be bound to lose them either out the door or through accidents.

(Hilary Anderson) #4

We had one disaster free-ranging - he removed all the ferret proofing, got his head trapped and died before we could get him out. Strangely I found him when looking for him to put into cage. Ferrets seem to have more sense than people give them credit for. We did try caging some of ours recently for a bit more order as they like trashing the place (broke the radiator) but 3 dental bills from cage rage later, non-stop pacing from Millie and constant crying from Gale meant we cracked after a week. It helps we have 5 of 10 or over as mainly sleep. Cages scare me as much as Misty used to break out, FJ wreck the wires and we had Ana chewing out recently when she was meant to be in quarantine. We have three ferrets caged at moment - Eccles is being picked on (think once hormones settle will be good but need to implant Pewter methinks), Bunnie because he is territorial and huge and Doris because she is territorial, is a loner who does not want to share with ferrets and she screams if anyone come near her and keeps screaming until they go away. The last two are EUs and act differently to the ferrets. Keep meaning to record Doris in a mood for my alarm clock - she has a piercing voice, esp at 2am when Doddle has evicted her from my bag with slippers and dressing gown in it.

(Mary McCarthy) #5

We’ve got an awful lot of junk in our house, however hard I try to get rid, so I really don’t think I could ferret proof more than one room.

I’ve never had problems with cage rage so long as they get enough time out. I can imagine they’d hate it if they are used to being out though.

(Donna Brooke) #6

Mine live indoors but they have a large cage in their own room. We definitely couldn’t have free roaming here, the dogs would kill them so they are kept completely separated.

(Mary McCarthy) #7

Mine would be quite safe with the dogs, both have been well tested with ferrets. The younger ones are a bit much for the dogs though so exercise separately.

When we got our first little girl, Moki, we let her roam free. Our second, Oppy, made us want to get a cage for them; there too many little spaces to hide and get hurt. We got a good quality single level cage with lots of room, they’re pretty small females. There was no objection, fortunately. Then I had to have a little boy, so we bought a second level. All three have adjusted really well, I’ve trained them to go home after playtime. It really helps having 3 levels so they have privacy if needed.