Deaf ferret

I adopted a new baby a few weeks ago . I noticed pretty quickly that he was deaf . He’s very young and very , very vocal . I was shocked when I heard him bark ! He also is quite a biter . I’ve been patiently working with him and have slowly introduced him to my other boys . Anyone have experience with training deaf ferret and nip training . I tried scruffing him and he becomes very upset . So for now I blow on his face when he bites and redirect his energy.

2 Likes

It sounds like you’ve found your own way of distracting him.

I’ve not had a deaf ferret myself but it’s not uncommon. They do OK but as you’ve already found can be more vocal and hard to nip train.

One too I remember is to find some way to warn them you’re there before picking them up, so they don’t fear bite.

1 Like

He’s doing really well and my two boys have accepted him . He is biting much less and no more alarm barking . He makes an exhaling sound when he is excited or hungry. I’m working on teaching him simple hand gestures so eventually we can communicate with one another . He’s a true joy and a handful :two_hearts:

3 Likes

That’s lovely to read. It sounds like you’re doing really well with him

1 Like

He’s gorgeous. Seeing his colour and then you saying he’s deaf makes me wonder if he has waardenburg’s syndrome. Here’s a link which explains more about it.

Waardenburgh Syndrome

2 Likes

Thank you I was reading up on that . I’m pretty sure that’s what he has . His face is different from my other Ferrets . It looks like a opossum.
He is extremely vocal and he bites my other dudes very hard . They like him and tolerate his bites . If he gets to worked up I give him time outs . He’s in the habit of circling me now and making a breathy sound when he’s hungry. He also nurses on one of the other Ferrets ear , I’m not sure what that’s about ! Maybe he was weaned to early .

2 Likes

He looks like butter wouldn’t melt :heart_eyes:

1 Like

The ear thing is common and said to be related to early weaning. If it’s hurting the others ears put bitter apple on them to dissuade him.

2 Likes

My girls the same they said shes the poster child for waardenburg syndrome.

2 Likes

She certainly is very sweet.

1 Like