Best food for ferrets?

Hi :smile: ,I have 4 ferrets,all of them eat Marshall Pet Products Premium Diets ,my the smallest ferret right now isn’t taking the food too well he’s at the age where he can eat solid foods but he poops very grainy ,so my point is what can I do are there better options out there what can I feed all of them that will be one easy for them to get adjusted to and 2 be healthy ?(I’m not interested in having them eat raw well not at the moment)

1 Like

Hi @mandi831

I’m assuming you’re based in America because of the Marshall Ferret Food so we may need a few of our ‘over the pond’ users to jump in here but I’ll tell you what I know!

Nowadays, the U.K. has nearly as much variety in ferret food as the Americas which is great, but also then means it’s more likely that we pick a food which isn’t as good as another.

While personally I have no experience in Marshall foods, having a look at the ingredients we can see the top 4 are:

1. Chicken By-Products (organs only)
  2. Chicken
  3. Chicken By-Product (Meal)
  4. Corn Meal

On the face of it, this actually compares well enough with our foods over here. With ingredients that are listed on the packaging, it’s ordered based on the most content, so we can be mostly sure that the top 4/5 on the ingredients list make up the majority of the foods composition. Corn Meal is probably the reason for your strange poops. Although its generally the normal way to get fibre into your ferret, Corn Meal can be very high in fibre which could mean your ferret can’t digest all of it, the seedy parts of the poop are probably all the undigested fat and carbs that your ferrets didn’t have time to process.

I’m guessing that you’ve only just started the youngest on this food so he or she is probably just adjusting to the new food, it can take a little while.

As for recommending other foods, Ive absolutely no idea in the USA market so I will bow out here and let someone else recommend foods for you :slight_smile:

TL;DR - Probably just adjusting to the food, seedy poops generally nothing to worry about as long as it doesn’t go on for a long time. Hopefully someone can recommend other foods who knows the American market better

3 Likes

I’ve got some American ferret owning friends I’ll ask what they’d recommend

2 Likes

I would tend to agree with Graham. Have you looked for Totatlly Ferret products? They make age specific food so you could try him on a baby or junior food.

2 Likes

Good advice, let us know how they are doing

1 Like

I often treat my babies with Tinned Cat Food. They like it quite a lot, but they also have many other treats. They love Chicken and MinceBeef.

One really funy thing I do, is get them all to grab hold of a lump of beef, and then let them fight over it… Its hilarious because they look like some weird furry starfish crossing the living room floor… Such funny buggers.

I’d avoid cat food, it’s usually pretty shitty stuff, not really even good for cats. The raw meat is great though

3 Likes

I have decided after some thought that I will abstain from feeding these new ferrets any of the dried foods , so mine will be getting chicken wings & some fatty mince amongst other meats like occasional rabbit

Kay x

1 Like

If you’re feeding exclusively raw don’t forget to include some than meat, heart, liver and kidney, they get essential proteins from them that aren’t so easily available from muscle and bone.

You can buy pet mince that includes organs

1 Like

I get a good minced rabbit from a place in Cardiff, they deliver so can add details if you like. I tried a new one they had last time it was minced rabbit but all of it, fur and all. They loved that and will get another next time. It comes frozen in a small box, one rabbit to a box. The other one I get is minced rabbit, bones and organs no fur, that lasts a long time I cut it up and put the cubes in bags. But also give them three makes of kibble mixed together, this is much easier in the summer months when you can’t leave meat out for long.

2 Likes

By all means let us know the name of the supplier you use. It’s always good to know reliable companies.

I’ve always used http://www.honeybrookfoods.co.uk/pages/welcome. Mainly because they are close enough to drive to which saves us the postage

1 Like

We use honeybrook too Mary.
Great products and service,bit of a drive for me but I buy in bulk and have a designated ferret chest freezer in the garage which helps.

Craig

1 Like

Here we are Mary, I find them good but only half hour away so call in when I need to. This one is new and half way through the second box http://www.rawpetsupplies.co.uk/online-store-1/!/Paleo-Ridge-Wild-Minced-Rabbit-x-1/p/64944568/category%3D18985143
But I always get this one and always in stock http://www.rawpetsupplies.co.uk/online-store-1/!/K9-Raw-100-Rabbit-Dinner-16-x-400g-from-Thurs-late-PM-on-16th-Feb/p/52577776
right, i’m off to check your link now :wink:

2 Likes

i was amazed knowing that ferret can eat cat food,i found amazing article about ferret can eat cat food. ferrets are very cute and true stress reviler and feeding them best food to ferret is our responsibility.

1 Like

I wouldn’t dare give those cat foods to my ferrets, the first one although it has 40% protein, it has 15% fruit and veg which is very very bad for your ferret! It’s looks like it’s just a company trying to include other potential buyers without doing appropriate research.
At the end of the day ferret food had been specifically designed for ferrets so why feed them something intended for cats?

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @naturalbirdslove :smile:

It’s always better to feed ferret food to your ferret or a natural raw diet if you can. I would only ever feed cat food to them in a situation where I temporarily couldn’t get ferret food.

3 Likes

Thank You :slight_smile: yeah Cat Food Is Best Option When There is Nothing