Adrenal disease - Trust your instinct!

Noticed a lump in my ferrets belly a month back. Took her to the vets and he told me itbwas nothing to worry about, she just needed to poop. I told him she had just popped and does several times a day with no problem. Anyway, a week or so had gone past and I was getting more and more nervy… I decided I wanted a second opinion.
Took her to another vet yesterday and he booked her in for an emergency check up under anaesthetic. Turns out my little girl has a 5cm cancerous adrenal tumour. I was told they could operate but it is on the right side and this is rather complex due to the Vena Cava being in the way. It’s extremely high risk.
My girl doesn’t have any symptoms apart from a big belly. She’s running around and as normal as she always has been so I have decided not to do such invasive surgery. I am a broken woman today after such a shock but I wanted to let you all know about this and to always trust your instinct (not that it makes a difference in my situation) At least I know what to expect and give her the best time she has left

1 Like

P.s does anyone have any info on CBD oil for ferrets with cancer? We’ve been doing some research but I want to know about dosage, risk etc

1 Like

I’m so sorry you had bad news.

The good news is while adrenal isn’t curable, even surgical removal doesn’t necessarily cure it, it is treatable.

Ask your vet about the deslorelin implant. It’s a hormone suppressant implant, often used now in neutering. It won’t cure adrenal but it will slow it down and lessen symptoms.

It sounds like you caught your girls early so hopefully she’s got plenty of good quality life left.

1 Like

Hi Mary.

My vet is not keen on giving her hormone injections. He did tell me why but it was a bit of a blur when he was telling me all of this, as you can imagine :frowning: Something about the hormones that are already in the body. I will call him to find out.

Thanks
Kaeley

1 Like

Try canna-pet. As long as you order from them, they are fount of knowledge. We used them for Nico’s lymphoma. I’d recommend the implant too - gave us an extra 3.5 years with Monshie and helped Princess a lot. Our vet says it regulates hormones so even if some around, it smoothes them out. Used for Zac too who had weird benign version = first we knew was when he got mammary tumours. We only got another year with him but as he died age 11, quality lot more important than quantity

2 Likes

Hi Hilary.

I called the vet and he decided to go ahead with superlorin. She got it in today, bless her! Do you have any recommendations of how to clean her? I assume just warm water? The blood is matting her fur and can’t reach to clean it herself.
I will look in to canna-pet. Thanks for that info. WOW! 11 years old, that is amazing. Fauna is only 2.5 years old (approx.) So she is very young for all of this :frowning: her tumour is cancerous and is 5cm long. Hopefully the implant will hault most of the nasty symptoms.

1 Like

We tended just to leave for first day if blood as seals the site. But yes, just warm water is fine. 2.5 is very young and TBH I’m wondering. We had a jill who had retained ovarian tissue - vet missed it during her spay, it happens and we got unlucky. She came back into season, coat looked rough, she looked run down and was a right mardy cow. We implanted her about 3 years ago and she has been doing fine since. We noticed the first symptoms when she came into season after her spay. Only way of confirming would have been blood test, inject some hormones and repeat which was expensive and could be non conclusive. So we went with implant. It has worked. Ferret is my Merry Berry (who is not named after cooking show lady). Need to watch Merry next year as about time for implant renewal.

2 Likes

Sorry reread your first post and the tumour confirmed. Problem with cancers is they can affect any organ at any time - we’ve had cancer of the blood before. Impact depends on what organ they are affecting. I really hate cancer in any form and hope the implant helps your little lady maintain good quality life.

1 Like

I hope the implant does it’s job. We’ve used it twice and had two good years both times.

1 Like

Yeah I can’t believe it’s happening to her at such a young age! Thanks for you reply, will keep you updated, however I have noticed today that her vulva is swelling. She got superlorin in on Thursday morning. I know this is a side effect of Adrenal but could the superlorin be something to do with that?

1 Like

Hi Mary! Did your Jill’s have adrenal tumours also? Her vulva has swollen now and I’m worried about that. Just not sure what else I can do, it’s an awful feeling :frowning:

1 Like

The implant can do something called “a flare”. Symptoms get worse initially and then settle down.

1 Like

I’ve had one hob and one jill with it, both successfully treated with the implant.

As Hilary says it can cause a flare where symptoms initially appear to get worse but things should settle over a few weeks.

1 Like

I researched this last night and it put my mind at ease. Hopefully she settles down soon!
Thanks for your advice

2 Likes

How is she now? Hope flare settled.

2 Likes

Hi Hilary, thanks for asking!

Flare is going down slowly :slight_smile: she’s doing well at the moment, still a little menace but wouldn’t have it any other way <3 Long may it last

3 Likes

Hey there! My boy Stash is 2 and a half and is diagnosed with adrenal disease, and needs an implant for hormones. Slow release! So heartbreaking at such a young age…how old were your bubs?? How has the implant/injections been?

Hi Jess. Unfortunately my little girl passed away in March this year. The implant didn’t help her much I don’t think. She was diagnosed and implanted in December so it may have given her a few months, but who’s to say that wasn’t when she was going to pass without the implant. I’m sorry to hear about your lad, it’s the most upsetting thing to find out. I well up as I write this. As you can see from posts above the implant does help some ferrets. You should go ahead with it and give him all the cuddles and kisses in the world! Let us know how he is.

1 Like