5yo ferret suddenly biting

I have a 5 year old ferret named Diesel (female). I got her when she was very young, along with her brother, Tickle. She used to play bite when she was very young, and I was able to train it out of her. When she resorted to biting, I would ignore her and she eventually got the message. She hasn’t done it for years now and everything has been great. Tickle has recently passed on, and since then Diesel will NOT stop biting me. She bites me to play, bites me for attention, even when I’m giving her lovin. She literally makes my hands and feet bleed. I’m constantly defending myself and full of bite marks, and I’m so sick of it. I cant ignore her cause she bites me. I cant play with her cause she bites me. I try scuffing, putting her in time out in a carrier with no toys, pushing her away from me, pulling my feet away when I can see her coming for me, everything. I’m exhausted and I just want to play with her and enjoy her like we used to. Things have been pretty rough since Tickle has gone, and I just don’t know what to do. If anyone has any ideas I’ll try them and let you know if they work. Please help.

1 Like

Hope things are getting better bit just in case…

First I’d get her checked by a vet in case there are any health issues that could be causing this.

It could be that she is mourning which can make anyone a bit tetchy.

I would go back to square one of nip training, as if she was a completely new ferret.

You can find some great advice to help with this here. Nip Training

2 Likes

Hi
I hope that Diesel is OK. A visit to the vet is a must as she might be in pain. Please do let us know how you are getting on